Stephen M

Default How Long Of A Power Cord?

"w_tom" wrote in message
Code says there should be a power receptacle about every six
feet along wall. Therefore power cords are generally about 6
feet long. Maybe 8 foot max to provide a margin of....

While I think 8 is a good starting point, the distance between outlets is
not the only factor. Length of the stroke of the tool in use is a factor
too. Example: using a jigsaw to cut an arc for the toe-space apron of a
bookcase.

Better example: using your circular saw to rip a sheet of plywood. In
theory, you can do it with a 8' cord, in practice, you want 12'. 3' from
the wall to the sheet and then be able to rip away from the wall.

The 6' cord on my ROS is really inadequte; 8 would be OK; 10 would be
better. You need that much to get all the way around a full-size piece of
furniture.

My solution to this problem is a 10' HD extension cord. A 6' extension would
probably be better, but a 10 is what I have.

Steve