Andy

Default Beko Frostfree Freezer Fix

I posted in 2004 complaining that my Beko frostfree fridge/freezer was warm,
or at least hovering around freezing in the freezer compartment, and that
everything had defrosted and gone soft. I never found the solution but about
a week later it recovered and has been OK since then.

This week the same problem occurred over several days, and a bit of Googling
gave me a clue. The problem seems to lie in the heat exchanger ( accessible
from the freezer compartment by removing the drawers and then the rear
panel ) being iced up.

The top of my heat exchanger was a solid chunk of ice, so I thawed it with a
hairdryer and hey presto the freezer went back to normal. I think that the
ordinary automatic defrost cycle was somehow thwarted by the mass of ice
just hanging around on the heat exchanger.

I post this just for reference in case someone googles with a similar
problem in future. Bekos are rebadged Hotpoints, so they may be similarly
affected.

Andy.