Derek Andrews

Default Punky Wood

Kevin wrote:
I have almost run out of my current stock of Maple. However a neighbor
bequeathed to me a rather large chunk of the same wood. The size is about
24" diam. & 40" high. I did notice that it had a goodly amount of various
mushrooms and fungi growing on it. Now I understand that this may well
indicate a really winderful level of spalting on the inside. OTOH, it may
indicate I have a large chunk of punky wood;

The best way to find out is to go at it with a chainsaw. Or you could
try sticking something pointed into the end of the log and seeing how
bad that is, but the middle of the log is likely to be the soundest.

I have had good luck treating moderately punky wood with acrylic floor
polish. Rough out the piece first to reduce volume, then soak the piece
in a jar of the stuff or whatever is large enough. Leave it long enough
to dry / harden before turning. Finished ok with danish oil. I tend to
reserve this type of material for weedpots which don't need to be
terribly strong.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com