charlie b

Default Black Walnut Branch - Sometimes You Get Lucky

robo hippy wrote:

I don't think that I have ever come across a tree where the pith is
centered in any part that I have cut into. Once I got a piece of osage
orange with the pith on the very edge of the round, I mean within a
quarter of an inch from the bark, and the round was oval, about 12
inches by 8 inches. Aint nature strange!
robo hippy

Start with a tightly packed nursery tree. They seemed
to be conditioned to grow long straight branches - straight
up. Plant it in a somewhat horizontally confined space
and you'll get some long straight branches that have the
pith almost centered. I've got a few dozen of them pruned
from a fruitless plum that after a year of drying, make
great spindles, magic wands, and whatever else you
can turn from something a little over and inch
in diameter. Unlike walnut, which has very thick
bark, the bark layer is very thin, though hard on
cutting edges.

charlie b