Lee Michaels

Default A Break From Furniture Making

"charlie b" wrote in message
Making furniture, even "just shop furniture" is interesting/
challenging/ fun. BUT - there's a lot of delayed gratification.
"You gotta do this, then layout that, tune this joint, shape
that piece, fit that ____ to this _______, dry fit, take apart,
get out clamps, ... Hours can be spent just preparing the
stock before even making any parts. Weeks, months or
even a year can go by from the time the stock is selected
until the finish dries on the piece, and if you use BLO it
can be even longer.

But a spinning chunk of wood, some sharp tools, some luck
and the gods smiling on you - in less than an hour you
can have something that makes you say "Did I just do
that?" Worst case, you're floor is covered with curlies
and debris as evidence that you've actually been doing
some woodworking.

Turning is a nice "between REAL projects", something
to do while the glue/ this coat of finish dries. And what
a furniture maker calls cut offs and scrap often can
be turned into something interesting relatively quickly.

AND - sometimes there's a buzz, that endorphin burst
that happens when everything goes just so. Heres an
example of what I'm talking about.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/.../Turning9.html

If you've got a lathe tucked back there in the corner,
go play with it once in a while. If you don't have a
lathe, consider the $350 US JET midi-lathe. But
be aware that, in keeping with everything costs
$1,100, a Talon or SuperNova chuck will cost you
$200+, turning tools, which will appear in
quantities rivaling chisels and hand planes, and they
ain't any cheaper. (God I hope Lie Nielsen never
start making turning tools.) and there are more
gizmos and things you'll soon "have to have".

Maybe you ought to just find someone with a lathe
and all the tools and accessories and make friends
with them. Woodworkers are pretty friendly
people (some here being the exception that proves
the rule) and are often quite willing to "let you
try my _____.".

Broaden your horizons - have a go at turning -
while you're waiting for the glue to dry.

charlie b

Stop it Charlie!

All this smug happiness is upsetting me. I have to spend some marathon hours
in the office for the next month or so. I would give anything to be makin'
sawdust or shavings right now.

You suck.