Joe Brown

Default Advice needed for lifting Vertical Mill

Hello, thanks for your timely reply to my post. I was peering down the
centre of the column using a torch, and the method you suggest seems very
logical, and might be the way that the mill is lifted in the factory. I'll
post my progress, or lack of it on this board.
Regards,
Joe.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Joe, I will tell you how I moved my mill several years ago. I took a
piece of flat bar 3/8 by 2 I think and cut the length 2 or 3 inches
longer that the diameter of the column. I then drilled a small hole on
one corner (I'll explain later) and another hole in the center top. I
connected a chain schackle to the center hole and hooked a chain to the
schackle. I then tied a piece of wire (or string) to the small hole on
the end and lowered the bar/chain assembly down the column. At this
point, the bar was parrallel to the column. When it got below the
bottom of the column I held the chain and let go of the wire. The bar
was then perpendicular to the column. I pulled the chain tight making
sure the bar was centered under the column, and hooked the chain to my
engine hoist. After moving the mill to where I needed it, it was just a
simple matter to loosen the chain and pull the bar out with the wire. I
moved the mill several times this way. If anybody out there sees a
problem with this method, please respond. I am always open to helpful
criticism.