DoN. Nichols

Default Quality of cast iron in weights? (as in Arnold S. type weights)

According to Lloyd E. Sponenburgh :

"jtaylor" wrote in message
I have a small cast iron weight that is the right size with which make a
faceplate - is it likely to be reasonable stuff or more like window sash
weights?

Heh, heh! Bison brand faceplates are like window sash weights... so what's
that tell you?

I've machined Bison mounting plates for lathe chucks without any
problems. However, when I've tried to machine window sash weights (from
perhaps around 1950 or so, at a guess), they were terrible. Lots of
hard carbide inclusions -- some as large as a small grape.

I don't know about the weight which you have, however.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564