Paul

Default Building an extension

Peter Taylor wrote:

"cantorthomas" wrote in message

The 'quota', I think refers to this, I reckon - if you want to build a
single storey extension in the back garden, you can do so without
planning persmission, so long as it is does not extend the overall
floorspace of the house by more than 10%. Of course this is a one-off
allowance - you can't keep extending by less than 10% every year! I
think there is a cut off date - if the house was extended before the
1930s(?) that extension won't use the quota.

It's not quite as simple as that. You can extend on the front (subject
to conditions), and the maximum is 10% or 50 cubic metres (whichever is
larger) for terraced houses and 15% or 70 cubic metres for other types,
subject to a maximum of 115m³. There are lots of other exceptions. The
actual regulations are he http://tinyurl.com/8gle6

Even if you think your proposal complies with these rules, it's very
dangerous to just go ahead and start building as there are many other
considerations that apply. It's essential to check with the council
first. If it does comply, ask them to give you a "Certificate of
Lawfulness", which they will normally do for free. This will go with
your deeds to prove the extension is legal when you come to sell.

Peter

Just phone the planning office and they will tell you. But don't forget
to phone building control because they will still want some money.

Paul