Default GE Drier timer repair

FearlessFerret wrote:
I have a GE drier model DDC0580BBLWH drier whose timer is not advancing.

Before buying a new timer, you might unplug the dryer, open it up, and
make sure it's not something like a wire that fell off. The connections
are usually pretty secure, but heat and vibration take their toll. If
you find a burned wire, further troubleshooting is indicated. You'll
probably need a flat-blade screwdriver, a Philips screwdriver, a 5/16"
nutdriver or wrench, and possibly a 1/4" nutdriver or wrench to open
it up.

My wife set the thing up one evening and the next morning I found it
still running--I don't think this is areal good safety-wise.

It's not great, but the dryer has a couple of safety thermostats that
should shut it down before anything gets too exciting.

I assume that if I get a replacement timer module it should be fairly
simple to hook it up, but it's not worth my time if the job isn't a
slam-dunk.

Some dryers have all the timer connections in one plug - unplug the old
one, plug in the new one, done. Some others have several individual
wires that have to be transferred one by one. *DO NOT* pull all the
wires off of the old timer and then try to put them on the new one!
You'll get lost. Just do one wire at a time and it'll be good.

Very occasionally, the replacement timer will be made for several models
of dryer, and you have to do something like move a jumper wire or put
two wires that used to be on separate terminals onto one terminal or
something like that. The timer will come with a sheet that explains
what to do. If there's no sheet, assume it's no different than the
installed timer.

You should also find a basic wiring diagram on a piece of paper that's
been folded up and put in the control panel. It might even have the
part number of the replacement timer on it, but it might not.

If you want a little more information, GE publishes a DIY repair manual.
The dryer manual is GE part WX10X116 ; a GE parts place should know it
by that number and it should be about $15 plus or minus. They used to
update the manuals every several years, but all the references I can
find to that manual say it was last updated in 1994. The manual will
walk you through the whole diagnosis, and then tell you how to replace
the bad part and/or when to give up and call for service.

Disclaimer: I used to work for GE selling appliance parts, but I don't
anymore.

Matt Roberds