charlie b

Default Black Walnut Branch - Sometimes You Get Lucky

Got to play with some freshly cut Black Walnut branches - that
came with the bark, and some moss, on. Wet, the heartwood is
almost black and the sapwood is almost white. the contrast is
startling. The problem is that branches seldom grow nice and
straight and growth rings perfectly symetric around the pith.
Throw in some knots and some pin knots and things get really
interesting. Turning the piece becomes a hide and go seek
adventure filled with wonder - as in "I wonder which way
the heartwood around this knot runs?".

Anyway, what turned out, literally, was dictated by the
wood. I just listened when it yelled "STOP!"

Another one of those "Did I really make that?" things.

Definitely a keeper, even if it splits or cracks.

Have a look.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/.../Turning9.html

Fun stuff this woodworking thing. Turning is addictive
(and messy as hell!)

charlie b