woodworker88

Default Advice needed for lifting Vertical Mill

Our shop moved our 2800+ lb Excello (bridgeport clone) by using four
hydraulic floor jacks (2.5 ton rating, the kind used for lifting up
cars to change the oil, etc.) under the four corners of the pallet the
machine came on. To remove the pallet, we use the same jacks, this
time on either end of a long straight wood 2x4 under the knee and a
long pipe through a 2" hole in both sides of the casting. This is a
large floor-type knee mill, though, and it doesn't seem as though your
mill has either a knee or a large casting. Most large machines,
including ours (if we had had the facilities to use it) have a large
threaded hole in the top of the ram to secure an eyebolt. I would look
under the belt cover. Failing this, the best place would be a sling
placed under the table between the table and the casting. This is
likely to want to tip backwards, though. I would not move anything
this heavy hanging by the crane, though. I would lower the machine
onto a heavy duty furniture dolly to move the machine to it's final
location, then lift it off with the crane.