Default Advice needed for lifting Vertical Mill

Joe, I will tell you how I moved my mill several years ago. I took a
piece of flat bar 3/8 by 2 I think and cut the length 2 or 3 inches
longer that the diameter of the column. I then drilled a small hole on
one corner (I'll explain later) and another hole in the center top. I
connected a chain schackle to the center hole and hooked a chain to the
schackle. I then tied a piece of wire (or string) to the small hole on
the end and lowered the bar/chain assembly down the column. At this
point, the bar was parrallel to the column. When it got below the
bottom of the column I held the chain and let go of the wire. The bar
was then perpendicular to the column. I pulled the chain tight making
sure the bar was centered under the column, and hooked the chain to my
engine hoist. After moving the mill to where I needed it, it was just a
simple matter to loosen the chain and pull the bar out with the wire. I
moved the mill several times this way. If anybody out there sees a
problem with this method, please respond. I am always open to helpful
criticism.