SQLit

Default New dryer won't turn on

"Mark Corbelli" corbellicrewatcomcastdotnet wrote in message
My mother in-law passed away recently and we ended up with her relatively
new washer/dryer. It's a Maytag Performa. After a friend and I humped the
old washer and dryer down the stairs to the garage and the new ones up,

the
dryer new plug did not match the receptacle. The receptacle was a three

wire
and the plug was a four wire. So I go and get a new one today and when I
take the old one off, there are only three wires coming out of the wall.

Two
hots and a neutral.

Wrong two hots and a ground. Cable in the wall would have to have 4 wires
to get a neutral.

So I hook up the hots and the neutral, install the new
recepticle etc. and hook the dryer back up. It won't turn on. I checked

and
the recepticle's hot. I took the access panel off the dryer and the

dryer's
hot. The green ground wire from the plug terminates on a sheet metal screw
on the dryer housing, so I can't imagine that hooking this up without the
ground connected would cause it not to run. I know it ran before. Does
anyone know of a reset button on these or what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Some appliances can work with out a neutral, some can not. Using the ground
as a neutral can be hazardous.
The manufacture should have directions in connecting the dryer with 3 wires.