Default "Dormant seeding" lawn question

Angrie.Woman wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
LenS wrote:

We have a lot of lawn damage from a combination of lots of hot weather
and lack of watering this summer. The lack of watering was from a
drought (we live in a suburb of Chicago) and the fact that watering
restrictions in our community plus high water costs discouraged us
from a lot of watering.

I know, I know, now instead of paying for water we're paying for
seeding the lawn. From my calculations, though, the reseeding is
cheaper.

The damage is mostly in areas that aren't shaded. Our lawn care fellow
tells us that a lot of it should come back in the spring, but we want
to reseed anyway, although we prefer to do it ourselves.

Anyway, the plan is to "dormant seed" the lawn; put down seed now, or
at least before the ground gets too hard, so it will germinate in the
spring.

Any suggestions or tips for this? We're recent homeowners and really
have no experience with this.

Thanks,

-Len

You can try it now, you are a little late so how well it will work will
depend on the weather over the next two months. I much prefer to seed in the
fall.

BTW if you would have taken just a little better care of your lawn, not
only might it have been cheaper, but it would have looked better for half
the year.

We had a record dry summer here. Give him a break.

Turned out to be a good way to kill off that big patch of some kind of
weedy ground cover infiltrating the lawn on the sunny side of the garge.