Kevin

Default Punky Wood

I have almost run out of my current stock of Maple. However a neighbor
bequeathed to me a rather large chunk of the same wood. The size is about
24" diam. & 40" high. I did notice that it had a goodly amount of various
mushrooms and fungi growing on it. Now I understand that this may well
indicate a really winderful level of spalting on the inside. OTOH, it may
indicate I have a large chunk of punky wood; the type that is subject to
horrendous tearout and soft as heck. If the latter, what would you folks do
with it, other than build a nice sized fire and cook sweet potatoes in the
coals? Is there any means of saving or using it?

Thanks