rich

Default Workbench out of QS laminated 2x4 Douglas fir

Kin, I just finished my first bench last month. The article cited is
very good, and was similar to some plans I got at Rockler. But rather
than dealing with gluing the 2x4's for the top, I bought a ready made
top from Grizzly and used the 2x4's I bought for the base.

Built upside down on saw horses, I was able to mount the vices easily,
and as long as I cut the legs the same length, when I set them on the
underside of the top, they worked out just perfect. I screwed the base
to the top with 3 inch wood screws, and carpenters glue. And I used
glue and wood screws to construct the base.

Very simple, very strong.

After I turned it over, it didn't wobble, creak, or move. Solid as a
rock. Then I drilled a load of holes, 3/4" dia all the way down the
bench from the end vise, 6" apart, and the same across the bench for
the other vise. I did have to measure carefully to miss the vise.
Since I didn't have a better way, I made a jig on the drill press to
bore at a right angle on the bench, didn't want the hoiles at an angle
when I drilled them by hand.

Soon as I get that new table saw for Christmas, I'll make cabinets or
shelves/drawers for the area below the top. Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Rich......