Teamcasa

Default Review: Delta 17-968 variable speed drill press

"brianlanning" wrote:
snip
The directions said to mount the cast iron base
to a piece of plywood 21" by 28" to help stabilize it. I cut the
piece of plywood, then went to bed.

I lagged it to the floor.

snip
The rack and pinion mechanism for raising and lowering the table is
similar in
design to my old delta bench top drill press. There are two rings at
the top and bottom of the post that capture the rack. The rack is
supposed to hug the post as the ends of the rack travel in grooves. I
don't care for the design. And in this case, when the table is up
high, the arm holding the table acts on a point high on the rack. The
rack flexes and binds in the groove at the bottom making it's motion
sort of jerky.

The only thing I didn't like was table raising rack as well. However, I
removed it and de-burred the bottom of the rack and the V shaped notch on
the post, greased it up and now it slides very smoothly.

snip
It came wired for 110, and I'll probably leave it that way.
There's a diagram on the back for switching to 220. The lamp that
came with it has its own power switch and plug, so wiring for 220
won't affect that.

It runs much better on 220v

snip
I can't discern any run-out with my eye. I don't have a dial indicator.

Mine had +/-.001" runnout

Turning the variable speed handle is a bit odd. You turn it clockwise
to go faster, and counter clockwise to go slower. Going slower takes a
bit of strength to turn the handle. But turning clockwise to go faster
can be done with just a finger. It stays where you put it though.
I'm not sure if this is right or not, but it doesn't seem to affect
the usability of the machine.

Do not adjust it unless its running.

snip

So far I'd say I'm very happy with it.