Rosalie B.

Default Liability: I'm not responsible for your kids!

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
"Stephanie" wrote:

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Ruth Baltopoulos says...

wrote:

Ruth Baltopoulos wrote:

It can also be counterproductive to throw a
hedgehog into the chickencoop

Just out of curiosity: What happens if you do? It eats all the eggs?

I have no idea! It just popped into my head as an attempt to convey
throwing a totally unrelated idea into the mix and I liked the turn of the
phrase; hedgehogs might be a chicken's best friend for all I know!

It's a good one, though - I actually pictured a porcupiney-thing being
thrown into a chicken coop.

Sounds like one of those southern aphorsisms, like "deer caught in
headlights" (which, BTW, has gotten widespread use) It puts such a picture in your
mind.

Banty

But deer really do get caught in headlights. Ever heard of the illegal
practice of jacking deer?

I've heard of jacklighting. Both 'jacking deer' and jacklighting are
in the American Heritage dictionary. I don't know the derivation of
jacklight but it is a light used at night in illegal hunting. No area
of use was given. Shining deer though seems to be north mid west (MN
WS area) and it looks to me like they often use automobile headlights

I suspect this is what we called shining deer? (Going out with bright
lights at night -- catch the deer in the lights so they freeze -- makes
them easy to shoot.)

grandma Rosalie