Hugo Nebula

Default House purchase - Building Regulations

On 13 Jul 2004 09:47:24 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named
(drona) randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

We are buying a house with a garage extension but apparently no
building regulations consent for the extension. I have been advised to
take out an indemnity insurance to cover prosecution,

I think it's safe and everything, but
I am thinking of potential problem when we come to selling the house.

This 'indemnity insurance' seems to be another con; if the work has
been completed more than 12 months, provided it's not dangerous (about
to collapse), then no prosecution action can be taken by the Council
for a breach of the Building Regulations. The insurance goes no way
to showing whether the work complied with the requirements of the
Regulations or not, and you could be faced with the same problem when
you come to sell.

If I were you, I'd get the sellers to apply to Building Control for a
Regularisation certificate, and let them do all the running around.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is,"if no-one on the internet wants