Hugo Nebula

Default Insuring an Underpinned House

From the chaotic regions of the Cryptosphere, parish
parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote on Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:30:03 +0000:

Hugo Nebula wrote:

If we're talking about Building Control, then they only inspect to
ensure that the work complies with the requirements for health, safety
and welfare, not for financial losses.

Bull****. They have the final say on whether it's built correctly or
not. The people with the ultimate authority take the ultimate
responsibility.

Not at all. There are many ways of complying with the Building
Regulations, and it is down to the designer (architect/ engineer) to
make sure that it does. Checking by the BCO does not abrogate the
designers of that responsibility, and when it comes to matters which
do not adversely affect health, safety or welfare (i.e., finishes,
decoration, landscaping, etc), the BCO has no say at all.

Read http://www.wronglybuilthouses.co.uk/ and convince me that the Local
Authority's Building Control Dept. are neither incompetent nor corrupt.
The builder may have been a cowboy but the BC people should have
prevented this.

Was the site mentioned inspected by the Local Authority or an Approved
Inspector (the NHBC)? I don't see any mention of the Council's
Building Control in there.

When my extension is
built I shall be watching the BCO like a hawk to make damn sure I get my
monies worth.

Yes, certainly make sure that your Local Authority Building Control
Surveyor inspects the work to make sure it complies with the
requirements for health & safety, but they are not liable for
consequential financial loss.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,