Joshua Putnam

Default Pacific Coastal Dehumidifier

In article ,
says...

The humidity ratio w is the number of pounds of water vapor per pound
of dry air. It does not depend on the air temperature, and it doesn't
change much in 24 hours. The relative humidity is the number of pounds
of water vapor per pound of air divided by the maximum number of pounds
of water vapor the air can hold (at 100% RH) at a certain temperature.

RH is a more relevant humidity than absolute when you're talking
about moisture damage, condensation, etc.

...So while for much of the continent, the season for dehumidifying
is the summer, on the left coast it is the winter.

That could be true in a Canadian airtight house with humidity sources,
unlike air-leaky US houses with energy-wasting winter humidifiers...

I can't think of anyone I know in the Seattle area who uses a
humidifier in winter. I know quite a few who de-humidify in winter,
since that's our humid season. Using a humidifier in winter here
seems like an invitation to mold and rot.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/