Jerry Foster

Default Using used plastic container for oil

"ATP*" wrote in message

"Ted Bennett" wrote in message
This is a little off-topic, but you guys know everything, right?

Would it be a bad idea to store unused motor oil in a plastic container
that has been used for liquid detergent if it has been cleaned and
rinsed? I am more concerned about bad effects on the oil than the
container, via leaching of something into the oil.

I like the container because of its neatly enclosed drip-free pouring
spout, but I can still smell the detergent after several rinsings.

Thanks for any pointers or warnings.

--
Ted Bennett

Not sure about the effect on motor oil, but I have been eyeing up the
Kirkland Laundry soap empties for some type of coolant dispenser or

similar
use. It's a mighty handy dispenser.

Be a little careful, here. I save my used motor oil to use in starting
fires in the wood stove. I'll save you the effort of having to repeat a
couple "experiments" I did. 1). Milk jugs tend to leak. They're too
damned thin. 2). Laundry detergent jugs with the "push button" tap don't
work, either. The oil rots out the little "rubber" cap on the tap, it
crumbles and the oil leaks out.

Jerry