RoyJ

Default Converting ac welder to dc

If you have a weld schedule that works for your application using an AC
rod, you won't see much of any real benefit. On the other hand, if you
need a higher strength weld, less spatter, or are dealing with an alloy,
then DC may be helpful.

DC will give the same weld rate as AC so it is not faster. AC has more
spatter but if you machine it after welding, no big deal. DC tends to be
a bit easier to get nice welds, again, no great difference unless you
have some ugly position or fitup issues.

william_b_noble wrote:

since we are on this topic, I have a box full of suitable diodes and can
easily make a diode bridge. I do a fair amount of welding (for a home
owner) almost all of it at about 180 amps, making welded faceplates for wood
lathes. So my question to the group - will I see some benefit from making
my AC welder into DC? I get good welds now, but faster, better, easier is
always good, and I've never used DC.

bill n

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message

Check the back issues of Home Shop Machinist or Machinists
Workbench. They had a good article with part numbers/sources on
this.

GmcD

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:38:59 +0200, "A.J. Venter"
wrote:

need plans to convert ac welder to dc
thanks andries