chris French

Default double glazing units

In message , Tim S
writes

I'm also not very convinced by the recent scaremongering being put around
(mostly related to Part P, but also applicable to Part L) that failure to
comply will make selling the house difficult.

IIRC Building control has a limited opportunity to persue a case of
failing to inform Building Control, and that time is something like
6 months according a book on Building Regs I was reading recently.

After that, they've missed their chance. I'm not sure if there are any
other angles they can get you on, particularly if the work is not a
criminal safety hazard???...

Whether or not BC can do anything about it doesn't stop buyers and /or
solicitors making a fuss about things. It might or might not stop a sale
, but at the very least it could slow things down

I do know of personally at least one case where lack of FENSA/BCO
documentation fro replacement windows (that should have had it) caused a
problem re a sale (it was eventually resolved, but not without stress).

It's not helped by at least some solicitors seemingly knowing little
about BCO powers. when we sold out last house the buyers solicitors
wanted the building regs approval for carport that was at least 20
years old ! - our solicitor passed this on without a comment really.

Both seemed ignorant of:

1. it didn't need BR approval anyway

2. even if it had, after 20 years there was bugger all that could ahve
been done anyway.

Ojk it was easy enough for me to tell them both that it was a load of
********, but what of someone less knowledgeable about such things. And
it still added a bit more delay to the process.
--
Chris French