John McGaw

Default Chainsawed through a spoon!

dean wrote:
Turtle, there's no way a chain can cut 20 cords and still be sharp.
I've sharpened it probably 20 times already. Its just that, now its
frigged, I can't seem to get it sharp any more. New chains are $30,
sharpening around here is $9.

$30?! Do you buy your chains at some sort of boutique? You can get
excellent 24" pre-made loops for $12.95 at Bailey's. Bars are pretty
cheap there too in case yours is getting mushroomed.

I got tired of sharpening my own chains manually and didn't want to
invest in even minimal power equipment for the job so I have my local
shop do it but I believe their sharpening is about $5 (or at least low
enough that I don't wince when the clerk holds his hand out). I
generally own at least three loops at any given time and try to keep the
two off the saw freshly sharpened since a lot of the wood I get is
dirtier than I'd like. Not to mention finding an actual stone buried in
the trunk of one tree...

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]