Diamond Jim

Default Brake Fluid - Alternative Use?

"Richard Kanarek" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply.

AFAIK, contaminated motor oil is not only non-recyclable, but it makes
the oil it's mixed with non-recyclable, too. By non-recyclable, I
don't mean to suggest that it might be refused at the filling station
(although there was one guy at a Jiffy Lube who would sniff used oil
before accepting it, may he rest in peace g), but that it will just
muck-(no pun)-up things up later.

Of course, I'm not saying that brake fluid tainted used motor oil is
"contaminated" -- perhaps brake fluid is a swell and recyclable
additive? -- but I'd prefer not to take the chance.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

I agree. Motor oil, in order to be properly recycled, should not be
contaminated with ANYTHING------especially gasoline or solvents. I keep
thinking of the hazards of using used oil for a furnace that has been so
contaminated. Could prove interesting!

Harold

Well you don't just burn used motor oil in a furnace without
treating/filtering it anyway. At least you don't if you know what's good for
you. Used motor oil is contaminated with all sorts of things, cadmium for
example (from bearings) which is bad for you when you get it into your
system. (This is why garages/service stations stopped burning motor oil for
supplemental heating. There used to be quite a market for stoves to burn
used motor oil.)

You burn the untreated oil, the contaminating products get into the air, you
breath the air, or touch a contaminated surface, eat something that has been
grown in contaminated soil in your garden, and wonder why you die or your
children are born with two heads etc..