Jeff Wisnia

Default New use for a bandsaw

Don Foreman wrote:
On 17 Oct 2005 15:33:47 -0700, "handysmurf"
wrote:

"Yeah. And they make sure that their wives and daughters
have jumper cables and know how to use them safely. "

why do you assume that everyone with a uterus is an idiot??

I know Jeff well enough to know that he makes no such assumption.

Well, it wasn't me who made the "wives and daughters" remark, it was
keyed in by Jim Stewart who was replying to the jumper cable analogy I
made in reply to your saying "The feckless suffer and bleat pitifully
while the competent improvise, get 'er done -- and then help others."

Such are the vagaries of newsgroup message threading....

And though I used slang terms which in my days were generally understood
to refer to males, "nebish" (A Yiddish term for a "loser".) and "guy", I
can easily see myself saying the same thing about "wives and daughters"
as Jim did. Well, maybe I would have said "wives and children" as I've
both sons and daughters.

He might better have said "family members less mechanically inclined",
which happens to be the women in his family -- who are very competent
in other areas. He works at the company his wife operates.

True, I retired into her business at about age 63 when my eyes got poor
enough so I was having trouble even seeing the ever shrinking electronic
components, let alone reading the markings (if any) on them. :-)

And, SWMBO will readily confess to being born without any technogenes at
all, and could care less. She's had 40 years of education and experience
helping people with disabilities, and built a much bigger business than
I ever did, without ever having to learn what a Phillips head screw was.
(If you questioned her on that subject she'd probably blush and assume
you were asking her something "off color".)

But, it's a great way for me to keep my hands and what's left of my
brain busy. There's all sorts of gym and playground type therapy
apparatus I get to build and keep in shape, computers and a network
wiring to learn about and use, and all the financal, legal and tax stuff
that goes along with keeping a small ma and pa business afloat. (Plus
I'm usually the only rooster in a flock of about 75 lovely ladies, and
best of all ....... I get to sleep with the boss.)

http://www.wkrp.org

Might you be able to could cook a meal, sew a seam or clean a house
better than most guys? Most women can, but it ain't a given.
Fitch, whom you've probably never heard of but many on this group
respect, is a quilter.

Well, I did learn to use a treadle operated Singer about twenty years
ago when I restored the one SWMBO's grandfather had made his living on
as a tailor. But about all I sewed on it were some seat covers for the
minibikes I was putting together for the sons and an armrest cover for
one of our cars.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia