Don Bruder

Default Transparent Aluminum?

In article ,
granpaw wrote:

Mr. Hoffman also pointed out the benefit of durability with ALONtm.

"Eventually, with a conventional glass surface, degradation takes place
and results in a loss of transparency," Mr. Hoffman said. "Things such
as sand have little or no impact on ALONtm, and it probably has a life
expectancy many times that of glass."

The scratch-resistant quality will greatly increase the transparency of
the armor, giving military members more visual awareness on the
battlefield.

I'm wondering how long before this stuff is outsourced to china and then
the cheaper product used in vests and limos.

The part that grabs my attention (as a wearer of corrective lenses not
in contact with the eyeball) is that whole "scratch resistance" thing...
I'm forever cussing at the cost involved in replacing a set of glasses
due to the "fog" of scratches that sooner or later collect on my lenses,
regardless of how carefully I handle them.

If this stuff can be worked into lenses, I'd be thrilled to have a set
made out of it, since it might *FINALLY* mean I'd get to look through
scratch-free lenses for more than the first few weeks after getting a
new pair...

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.