Brian A

Default Resistor control of individual central heating radiators

Currently I don't have a central heating system.
I want a system which allows me to control each radiator separately.
This will then allow me to only have rooms heated when they are likely
to be occupied and to properly control the temperature with wall
thermostats.
Rather than employ 2 port motorised valves I thought about trying a
different system of control.
What would happen if a standard thermostically controlled radiator
valve was set to full temperature and then a resistor placed in the
vicinity to facilitate temperature control. By applying a voltage to
the resistor it would heat up and, hopefully, cause the valve to
close.
Has anyone tried this method of control?
If so:-
1. With what type of thermostically controlled valve?
2. What power dissipation was necessary in the resistor to achieve the
necessary control?
3. Where, precisely, was the resistor placed?
4. What sort of hysterysis was evident?

(I am aware that at one time capilliary/bulb systems were used but
having not found them on appropriate web sites I assume that they are
no longer used. I need a system which employs current proprietary
parts.)

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.