Chris Lewis

Default Does gasoline break up asphalt?

According to Stuart Benoff :
I recently noticed a divot in my 5 month old asphalt driveway. I had a
small gas leak from my car recently and was wondering if the gas could
have weakened the asphalt. Does anyone know if gasoline has this affect
on asphalt?

As others have mentioned, it can have this effect.

However, a small leak reasonably quickly diagnosed, will _usually_
not result in any long term damage, other than the asphalt being
discoloured (blacker) and a bit soft/sticky for a while (days up to
a week or two) until the gas evaporates.

[As the gas drips onto the asphalt, some of it is absorbed by the
asphalt softening it, and some of it evaporates. Once the dripping
stops, the asphalt will slowly outgas the gasoline it absorbed and
re-harden in the process.]

The divot may be a defect in the installation. Without seeing it,
there's no way to tell. If it looks like a chunk broke out,
it'll probably be a installation problem, if it looks more
melted/deformed, it'll be the gasoline.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est