Doug Kanter

Default Worst Case Scenario ("As Is" Home Purchase)

wrote in message
oups.com...
James wrote:

I happened to read this post out of curiosity. Thought I'd chime in here
with a ridiculously basic thought. I assume you don't know these people
from Adam. Since from the way you've put it, there appear to be mildly
"fishy" elements, do you know for a fact that the "elderly bachelor
brothers" are who they say they are and that they own the house?

Thank you *very* much for bringing the clear title issue to mind. In
fact, I'm going to the county courthouse this morning to investigate.
Our local newspaper offers an incredible, privacy-invading database
where you can enter any address and search to see what a property is
assessed at for taxes, who owns it, etc.

When I first went to see the home, I used this as well as reverse
look-ups to see if the names on all sites were the same. They were,
but that still doesn't mean clear title. So MUCH thanks again.

Here (Rochester NY), my lawyer charged a flat $400.00 to handle all my home
purchase paperwork. I don't know what others charge, here or elsewhere, but
it seems worthwhile. Are you considering making the purchase without legal
representation?