Bill Rubenstein

Default question and drive by gloat

Arch:

If I'm the 'Bill'...

I'm the wrong person to answer the question. I know of at least one EE
named Bill who is active here and I suspect that he could do a much
better job of it.

I do know that in consumer products, the HP ratings of tools and their
motors have been massively overstated almost forever. They have used
terms such as peak hp -- usually double what the motor is capable of on
a sustained basis.

Consumer level compressors have been overrated for years but now I think
that the industry has finally decided to label them closer to reality.
Also, when you see the term 'compressor duty' on a motor, that is more
negative than positive. The motor cannot run continuously without
overheating.

The same goes for auto and truck engines -- some manufacturers have been
overstating the developed hp for years and there are no laws with teeth
in them to change the situation. Truth in advertising? Bah!

Anyway, Bill N (or some other EE), why don't you jump in here.

Bill

Arch wrote:
Bill,

Just for rcw archives and my confusion re HP and what it is, whether
from dray horses or thorobreds, would you explain the differences
between calculated HP, advertised- nameplate HP, brake HP and any other
HP. I think that motor speed is involved in the first two, regardless
of pulley ratios. At least some drills etc. when run at usable speeds
don't seem to provide the HP the makers advertised. Maybe there is
"useful HP" ?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter