nospambob

Default Bandsaw advice needed please

I bought tires for the Rockwell 14" saw from Suffolk Machinery and
they needed soaking in hot water for 15 minutes prior to STRETCHING
them to fit on the wheel. No adhesive. The wheels have ridges to
stop wandering. 1-800-234-SAWS and discuss your situation with them.

On 18 Oct 2005 14:14:53 -0700, "
wrote:

Also posted in alt.woodworking....
Hi Everyone,
I need some advice concerning a bandsaw I recently acquired. It is a
Beaver Rockwell model 3300 14 inch saw. This is an older machine, I
would think mid 1960's at a guess. Manufactured in Guelph Ontario.
I have a wider blade, 3/8th I think, on it and I figure I have the
tracking pretty close as I spin it by hand. The problem occurs when I
close the case and start it up, it will run for a few seconds then slow
down and start to put a strain on the motor. When I shut down and open
the case up I can see that the upper tire has crept backwards on the
upper wheel and is rubbing against the back of the housing. The tire is
not adhered to the hub, as is the bottom tire.
My questions are.
Should the upper tire be adhered to the hub? Or is the drive tire
adhered simply due to age?
If it should be adhered, is there a recommended adhesive other then
contact cement?
The tire has a shallow grove worn in the center, can anyone suggest a
replacement source?, Or will any 14 inch tire work correctly?
Any advice or help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

john