George

Default Sycamore Lumber ?

"Gus" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have experience using Sycamore?

I understand it is moderately dense and heavy.

How does it machine?

Anyone built anything from it? Were you satisfied with the result?

Well, it's a common (though dirty) tree, but not a plentiful wood. That
combination says a lot. Lack of stability is the accusation, though the T/R
shrinkage and volumetric information show it solidly in the middle of
hardwoods.

I suppose the prominent ray figure would make it vulnerable to drying faults
like similar woods. Might also make it chip on machining. I've seen it as
an accent wood and a turning wood, but not a structural wood.