Dave Hall

Default Stanley/Bailey plane question

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 05:01:43 GMT, "Buster" wrote:

I have two old stanleys that I use, a #5 and a #7. I have the original
blade from the #5, but needed to replace the #7. I replaced it with a Hock.
Gives great results, and I have no regrets about the cost of the
replacement. What is $47 when the blade should last another 50 years like
the one in the #5?

All that being said the blade in the #5 is sound and I have no intention of
replacing it.

I once found a Hock blade on extremely deep discount at Woodcraft
(regularly in the $50 range for $9). Anyhow, thinking it was the right
size for my Miller Falls Jointer (equivalent to a #6) I bought it.
Took it home to find it was too large and was for a #8. What to do -
of course, buy a #8...so I got an 8C on ebay that had a good original
blade. Scary sharpened both the Stanley and the Hock blades, finishing
them both on a 6000 waterstone. The Hock looks and feels more
substantial, but in use I don't see any real difference. Probably
don't have the experience to say which holds its edge better, but no
difference that I can see in chatter.

Dave Hall

"Toller" wrote in message

If you do need a new blade I suggest getting a Hock blade from Ron Hock:

$47 for a blade? Crummy Baileys with sound blades go for $5 at garage
sales.
Is the Hock blade all that much better?