George

Default Stanley/Bailey plane question

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message
25.201...
"Toller" wrote in news:5Pi5f.10293$cg.1012
@news02.roc.ny:

If you do need a new blade I suggest getting a Hock blade from Ron Hock:

$47 for a blade? Crummy Baileys with sound blades go for $5 at garage
sales.
Is the Hock blade all that much better?

Yes, it is that much better. The extra thickness prevents blade flex and
chatter, and on many planes it adds the thickness you need to really close
up the throat.

Now you have to decide whether you want high-carbon or A2. I have an old
high carbon, and it's great, but all the new stuff seems to favor A2.

Fettle that frog and mouth carefully and there won't be a rattle left in the
plane. Start here http://www.amgron.clara.net/