~Roy

Default Suggestions for underwater camera housing

Back in the 70's and 80's when I was big into scuba diving, they had
housing already made to fit the most popular cameras, as well as
generic housings. It takes a heap of light at most any depth, lots
more than what is needed above surface........All the housings I have
seen were always a one piece body that was molded, with access cover.
I would think that any solvent welded joints no matter how well made
are going to be the weak issue. I owuld check on the web for already
made housings. They have come down in price considerably over the
years.

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:45:41 -0300, "jtaylor"
wrote:

===I make something for use in swimming pools out of plastic plumbing pipe, but
===a fellow I was talking to last night had a more demanding use; design
===suggestions, and perhaps pointers/offers to manufacture would be
===appropriate.
===
===This fellow needs to have video camera underwater, salt water, on device
===that is moored to the bottom on cables. The device is mobile, and the
===maximum depth is around 30 metres, with a video cable run of about 100
===metres. Currents range up to about 10 knots. There could be a bit of
===turbulence, rocks, and general knocking about.
===
===Off the top of my head I was thinking that a small surveillance-type camera
===with a flood light and some sort of video amplifier, all mouted in a small a
===stainless steel tube as possible, caps and an end window for the camera &
===light.
===
===
===
===30 metres depth is about 100 psi, so sealing will be an issue, but this
===should just be proper design and workmanship, not innovation.
===
===100 metres of a video run seems like a long way, and as well I do not know
===if the video cable will be exposed to salt water; probably not, but the
===possibility should not be ignored.
===
===Mounting the device: would welded ears on the tube be likely to fail given
===the environment, materials, and forces? Or would it be better to have some
===sort of clamp to grab the tube?
===
===
===
===There seems to be a need for more than one of these, and although I guessed
===a figure of $1000 for a cheap proof-of-concept unit, the fellow didn't
===seemed worried about sums in that range.
===

"The original frugal ponder"