Stuart Noble

Default Cleaning stainless steel

John Schmitt wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:25:21 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

[SS]

If it's filthy, then Barkeeper's Friend will shift it. It's based on
oxalic acid and a good hardware shop, kitchen shop or even supermarket
will have it.

Oxalic acid only really applies to rust stains as it tends to take out
the hydrated oxides of iron. The surface of SS is actually chromium
oxide in some sort of weird matrix which keeps the oxygen away from the
ferrous component. If you manage to set up an electrochemical cell, SS
will corrode surprisingly badly. BTDTGTTS

John Schmitt

It seems to be the basis of decking cleaners (a new must-have for the
makeover brigade). Quite what it does, and how, isn't immediately clear.
I've never found it effective as a wood bleach.

Interesting experience buying citric acid from SavaCentre pharmacy. No
comment till I asked for *two* lots of 100gms.
"What are you using it for?".
"To dissolve cocaine"
"Naaah, you don't look like that sort of person"
Shares a smile with her colleague and hands me the packages.