news

Default No Lintel - Row of vertical bricks above window frame

urchaidh wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
On the downstairs windows, my house has a row of vertical bricks
above the windows, rather than an identifiable lintel! I am
wondering how much the bricks are supported by the metal window
frames, which will be quite strong as there are vertical bars.

Are you sure the bricks are vertical?

soldier course in front of a lintol, usually a prestressed conctrete jobbie.

FWIW a BCO passed a 3' 6" newly cut door opening in a 100 year old 9"
wall which was supported by 2 lenghts of 4" x 2" just to be on the safe side