Michael Chare

Default No Lintel - Row of vertical bricks above window frame

On the downstairs windows, my house has a row of vertical bricks above the
windows, rather than an identifiable lintel! I am wondering how much the bricks
are supported by the metal window frames, which will be quite strong as there
are vertical bars.

Is this a common arrangement? Do I have to be particularly careful about any
replacement windows that I might want to fit?

This applies to the original windows. Where the house has been extended there
are visible concrete lintels.

The top part of the house is tile hung block work, where the presence or absence
of lintel's is not immediately obvious.

--

Michael Chare