Mark Holbrook

Default Telephone Wiring

Technically for inside wiring runs and the like that one would consider
"permanent" one should use solid core wire. However, I have used stranded
wire instead of the solid core and have not had a problem.

Mark

"NewsReader" wrote in message
I completed re-wiring the telephone service for a building in a star
(home-run) configuration.
There are 5 circuits plus the network line from the outside.

I wired everything using CAT-6 cable from the outside box and all inside
wiring. Inside cables are
now behind sheetrock.

I was planning on using a hub/junction (66-block or 110 block) in the
future, temporarily using a
wire nut, but now I'm not sure.

When the phone service was being hooked up today, the technician noted
that I used stranded cable
everywhere and he had never seen that on the outside line and a junction
box would not work unless
solid wire was used. My inside plugs were fitted with a punchdown
connector which worked fine with
the stranded wire.

Did I make a mistake here in using stranded wire? I can still get to my
network run, should I
replace it with solid core wire for better reliability? Plan on using
phone and DSL on the line.

Any input appreciated,
Gary.

replies to (firefly 24 @ comcast . net) remove spaces.