Owen Lawrence

Default New window sill shelf design needed

I'm getting new PVC windows installed. For the upstairs windows I
ordered them with an accessory molding, which means there's a 3/4" slot all
the way around that can accept 1-by stock. For the sides and top I intend
to fill it in and cover it with the wife's choice of plain molding, mitred
at the top corners. They will be painted with an accent colour to go with
some future wall colour. There is a small jamb extension that will also
have to be filled in. I haven't decided whether to use painted pine, but
that's probably the first choice.

For the bottom I've insisted I want a clear wood shelf, maybe 6" deep,
large enough to hold a few plants or maybe just look nice. We have
yellowish oak floors, but I'm not sure if I should go with an oak shelf as
I'm afraid I won't be able to match the colour. In your opinion would it
look stupid if I used some other kind of wood (pine or maple)?

Do any of you have some simple designs I could peruse? I will need a
(wooden) way to support it, and I'm not sure if I can depend on a pair of
studs being positioned exactly symmetrical below the window frame. At the
moment all I can think of is rounding over the top edge, which makes me
think I'm missing an opportunity here. My taste is simplistic, but not
stark, if that helps.

I'd also appreciate any advise on finish. This wood will be exposed to
sun over the long term and most likely a bit of water. We're low
maintenance people here.

I hope my requests are comprehensible. Thanks for any suggestions.

- Owen -