Mike Pio

Default Jointer Knife Life

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Mike Pio" wrote in message
news:SHZ4f.55735$WR2.25096@fed1read03...

I'm sure what happens to knives is determined by many factor, namely
material, defects, technique, etc. I just didn't think soft maple and a
knot or two should bugger them so quickly. I'll shift a knife as others
suggested to see if that fixes me. This situation is why we keep a spare
set handy -- unfortunately, this is the spare set!

Did it occur to you that the branch may have had some time to collect sand
and such before it was overgrown?

Nope, never thought of that. Didn't even realize it was a possibility.

The reason for a spare set is the surprises, not the anticipated wear as
you consistently joint all the way right on the table. That's our fault,
the other is chance.