frank1492

Default Beckett Oil Burner Shuts Off After 10 secs.

Hi Greg-
Thanks for your detailed reply.
I personally am a fan of gas also, but there are no gas lines in
her area. I live in Worcester MA and use natural gas with a Putnam
Boiler (circa 1930) and a Powerpyle. Whereas I know at least 50%
of my heat goes up the chimney, I have virtually 0 maintenance
except for an occasional cleaning of the burner. It is a one-pipe
steam system.
Someday soon I will get around to replacing "the beast" with
new technology as I realize I will be able to cut my heating bills
in half. With gas prices surging up to 70% this winter, the moment
may be at hand!
What gas boilers do you favor?
Thanks.
Frank

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:54:19 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

"frank1492" wrote in message
.. .
Greg-
Pam wonders what area of the country you are from and whether
that would affect the service rates. She live in northern RI ( rural.)
Thanks.
Frank

I live in Fargo, ND. Our after hours rate is 1-1/2 times our regular rate,
which would be $70, so 1-1/2 X $70= $105. Plus we charge a minimum trip
charge, (fuel charge basically), of $10, plus a $1 a mile over 15 miles.
Then we start adding parts on to this. so the minimum would be $115 just to
show, with the first hour of labor. I don't recall what an ignition
transformer lists for so maybe my $200 was a bit high, but the $140 she was
charged would be a bit low for us.

The area you live in effects price greatly. Also if the shop is union or
not. One shop in my city charges $125 per hour for service. Bigger cities,
metro areas seem to get higher rates. Rural RI may get a better deal than if
she was south in the metro area.

On a side note, has she has the boiler serviced thoroughly lately? I mean a
GOOD cleaning? Oil boilers can be a pain if ignored. I did a major cleaning,
and pretty much a rebuild of a couple years ago. The boiler had been ignored
and was sooted terribly! Charged 8 hours labor plus about $200 in parts to
get it back online. I had to strip off the housing for the venting and get
into the flues of the boiler with a long 1/4" rod, then with a small wire
brush to get it all cleaned out.
It turned out the owner was so pleased with his fuel use afterwards that he
had me do the same on another boiler for a different property he owns. the
second one was not as bad, but it did need a good once over!

Oil furnaces and boilers are a pin for the most part. Most techs will not
spend the time needed to properly tune them up. They really need to pull the
gun and open the fire box on them every couple of years to ensure they are
running properly. I told my boss last season to allow four hours for a oil
tune up. It may be less, or more!
I am a bit prejudiced against oil burners because of the generally poor
service they receive. New LPG or natural gas boilers and furnaces are almost
matainance free.
Greg