Wes Stewart

Default doubling attic insulation - does it help?

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:24:21 -0500, (m Ransley)
wrote:

So how did I get an 1800sq. ft. 110 yr old house to have an annual gas
bill of 463$ last year, down from 1850 $, Which includes tankless gas
water heater gas cooking and gas dryer. I did R 100 attic R 35 walls,
dual and tri pane, and complete basement insulation, even Under the new
concrete. But #1 I did not listen to the naysayers that I would never
get a payback. My utility co was so sure I was stealing they were out
twice. So all you who say don`t overdo it , it will never payback, I
laugh to the bank this year and maybe pay 6-700 for a years worth of
comfort.

Oh Im Zone 5 Chicago area it goes to -20 here and im on the water, a
very windy place indeed, so windows were purchased with test results.

Bottom line, insulate for your zone to the max.

My, my, aren't we testy. Could you give us the savings attributable
to increasing the attic insulation from R-50 to R-100, since doubling
that value is the subject of the thread?