Luigi Zanasi

Default Bandsaw advice needed please

On 18 Oct 2005 14:14:53 -0700, "
scribbled:

Also posted in alt.woodworking....
Hi Everyone,
I need some advice concerning a bandsaw I recently acquired. It is a
Beaver Rockwell model 3300 14 inch saw. This is an older machine, I
would think mid 1960's at a guess. Manufactured in Guelph Ontario.
I have a wider blade, 3/8th I think, on it and I figure I have the
tracking pretty close as I spin it by hand. The problem occurs when I
close the case and start it up, it will run for a few seconds then slow
down and start to put a strain on the motor. When I shut down and open
the case up I can see that the upper tire has crept backwards on the
upper wheel and is rubbing against the back of the housing. The tire is
not adhered to the hub, as is the bottom tire.
My questions are.
Should the upper tire be adhered to the hub? Or is the drive tire
adhered simply due to age?
If it should be adhered, is there a recommended adhesive other then
contact cement?
The tire has a shallow grove worn in the center, can anyone suggest a
replacement source?, Or will any 14 inch tire work correctly?
Any advice or help is much appreciated.

Beaver Rockwell was a subsidiary of Rockwell Delta, which is now, you
guessed it, Delta. I suspect the saw is the same standard 14" Delta.
Mine is even older than yours and the standard Delta 14" tires fit.

You might want to contact Delta, they have parts deposits across
Canada. Or, to be absolutely sure, you might try Ace Tool Repair in
Smithers, BC. They have an amazing amount of parts for older machines
and I have ordered from them a number of times (and did a special
detour to visit the store in Smithers last year). Web site is at:

http://www.acetoolrepair.com/

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking