Jeff Wisnia

Default Fortress mailboxes

DeepDiver wrote:
"jim rozen" wrote in message

In article , DeepDiver says...

The town was *not* happy. The poor guy had to pay to repair the
grader, and take out the mailbox.

Why would the mailbox owner have to pay to repair the grader?

Good question.

Somebody help me out here, and remind me who did in the road
grader. Maybe then we could ask him how they strong-armed
him into paying for its repair.

But it happened.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

As long as the mailbox owner had the mailbox within the confines of his
private property (and not protruding out into the public road), then I fail
to see how it's his responsibility for damaging the road grader.

FWIW, here in Winchester Taxachusetts, my front lawn runs right up to
where the asphalt street pavement starts, with no sidewalk or curbing.
But, the town has an easement on the last 5 or 6 feet of lawn, sometimes
referred to aS a "grass sidewalk" and there's an ordinance (Honored more
in the breach that the observance.) against planting or placing anything
there which would force a pedestrian have to step off onto the road.

My mailbox sits on that easement, and if it was placed back of it the
mail carrier couldn't/wouldn't deliver to it.

Quite a few folks in the neighborhood here with frontages which are
slightly convex because the road curves put whitewashed basketball sized
rocks every 6 feet or so along edge of their lawns to keep cars from
"cutting the curve" and tearing up their grass. The lawyer friends I've
asked about that all say, "Don't do it."

I'm just glad the town doesn't tell me I have to clear the snow off that
"grass sidewalk". :-)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia