Wayne Cook

Default Cutting bearing races

On 18 Oct 2005 12:02:28 -0700, "John Martin"

No room for a conventional bearing puller? They've got some now for
blind holes that can slip between the inner and outer races and pull
bearings out that way. See the MSC catalog. You do have to have a
foot or so working room on the outboard end. A pilot bearing puller
might work and can be rented or even borrowed free from Autozone and
the like.

I guess I'm having trouble picturing your exact setup. If you can't
pull the bearing out because there's something in the way of the bore,
how can you press the new one in?

Stan

This bearing was really in tight, with some rust helping things. Think
of it as being in a blind hole. The shaft goes through, but there
wasn't much to hit to drive it out. I know the pilot bearing pullers
with the expanding fingers, but don't think one would have budged this.

Pressing a new bearing in is easy. I don't have a hydraulic press, but
could get it in with a screw. Or take it to the machine shop and use
the press.

What I was really looking for was an idea of how well the carbide burrs
work.

The problem there is that there's a wide range or burrs and driving
methods. The dremel carbide burr works ok on smaller stuff especially
if it's soft but it's not real good on hard from my experience. My big
burrs in my die grinders will cut hard steel some but will tend to
dull more in it at the high speed that they run.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm