Franc Zabkar

Default modem holds line..

On 18 Oct 2005 04:27:28 -0700, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

the relay (soldered) has approx 20kohms between the coil and 200k
between the output, when dis/reconnecting the dialtone returns but then
again goes busy by itself!

That's the same behaviour you get when you take your phone offhook and
allow the dialtone to time out. It means that something is placing a
load across the line, but not a dead short. If the relay contacts are
open, then the only other culprit that comes to mind is a MOV, but IME
these usually fail OC. I'd measure the voltage between the tip and
ring inputs. In my case it is 53V when on-hook and about 10V when
off-hook. Disconnect various components until the voltage is back to
normal.

-- Franc Zabkar