Tim Daneliuk

Default Some Thought On Intelligent Design - WAS: OT Is George BushDrinking?

wrote:

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I would prefer there were no public schools and people sent their
children to private school (they paid for themselves) that taught
the values most aligned with their own.

That can be a major disservice to the unfortunate "student" who is thus
never exposed to anything except a very narrow view of the world. One
can think of lots of such possible "curricula" that can even a much
worse outcome than the shortsighted view you seem to want to promote.
Things like neo-Naziis, for example, come to mind...

Those are _possible_ now.

Do you seriously think that making education "public" solves this
problem? The elementary schools have become babysitting services.
The middle- and high-schools have become breeding grounds for
thugs, gangs, and worse. The universities have become madrassas for
the ideological Left. Private education, however stilted, could not
be worse.

Would none at all be worse than public education? Even with today's
high droput rate in the public schools I tend to think some education
at least, is reaching more children that would be the case without
public schools. I suppose you have a way of addressing that, but
would rather not speculate on it.

The problem is that public education is the worst of all possible
worlds. It requires everyone to pony up, but then have very little
to say about its content or quality. For example, the Columbine
murders would likely have been avoided in a private school. Why?
Because the perpetrators already had a felony record (IIRC) and a private
school could have blocked their readmission. Public schools are required
to admit everyone and try as best they can to reflect the ideas and
values of the entire society - clearly an impossible task. Yes,
there is some slight residual effect wherein some education is better than
none, but the cost/benefit ratio is (IMO) not worth it. We are already
losing students today under the public system (to drugs, gangs, etc.).
Why not just admit that some percentage will always be lost and optimize
the system for the majority - i.e., Privately run and funded schools that
can enforce order and make education a priority...

Tim Daneliuk

PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/